Sunday, January 15, 2012

Snow

(Photo submitted by Dez)

I wondered what it would look like when I glanced out the window. My parents had told me that everything we had planned for the day would be cancelled. I didn’t understand why until they told me that it had snowed.


I looked out the window, confused as to what they were talking about. What did snow look like? I had never witnessed something like that when I was living in California. But now, now that I was living in Washington, everything, more than just the weather, had changed.


Yes, I admit, I am thirteen years old and I have never seen snow in my life, apart from what I have seen on TV.


When I looked out the window, I saw the most beautiful white scene. A blanket of white fluffy snow covered the brown grass and mud mixture from the day before, and the tree branches hung low under the weight.


I was amazed. It was everything I had ever imagined, and more. I could go outside and touch it if I wanted to; it was real to me now.


I asked my parents if I could go outside, to run around. My mother, cautious as she can be, handed me gloves, a thick jacket, rubber boots, and a warm hat. I put them on with a grin on my face and ran out into the yard. It was only a few inches, but it was enough.


I wondered what my parent’s thought of me. They watched out the kitchen window, and I could see that they were laughing. I looked at them and smiled. I bent down and picked up some snow, morphing it into a ball, like I had once seen in a movie. I threw it at the window and their laughter was more apparent.


They could not have made me any happier by bringing me here.


They didn’t know it, but I was thankful of them. I was thankful that they brought me into their house when they were staying in California for a few months for business. They didn’t know that I considered them my family already, and that I wished to forget everything else that happened before that.


My parents were going to take me to the store, to get new clothes, and stuff for my new room. They didn’t quite know what I liked, so they wanted to make sure that I got what I wanted. Then the snow hit.



As they watched me in the snow, I could tell they knew how I felt. I was happy for the first time in a long while.

2 comments: