Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Day in the Sky

(Photo submitted by Jenna W.)

Do you know what it’s like to fly? Do you know what it’s like to be bigger than the city? I do.

Last week, I was just eating my macaroni and cheese and I saw something really weird in my bowl. It looked like hot dogs, and it tasted like hot dogs. But it certainly wasn’t a hot dog.

How do I know this? Because when I woke up, I could see through the wall. I could see my brother in the bathroom. I jumped out of my little bed and I hit my head on the ceiling. It really hurt. But it was cool.

I found a piece of red stuff and tied it around my neck. I found something to help me fly better. I got a cape. I tied another piece around my eyes, and I couldn’t see.

Someone laughed behind me.

“What are you doing?” my sister asked.

“Looking for my uniform!” I screeched. I was excited to be able to fly. I didn’t have to walk anywhere anymore.

I turned to look at her. But I couldn’t see. “Where did you go?” I asked, my big boys voice growing small again.

She laughed again and took the red bandana I had around my eyes.

“Oh,” I said.

“Here, let me help you,” she said, and she went into the kitchen. She pulled out the scissors. I’m not allowed to touch those. She cut two big holes in the bandana, and cut it to look like a mask. She tied it around my face and I smiled up at her. I could see through it now!

“Now, what are you going to do with that costume?”

“It’s not a costume! It’s a uniform! And I’m going to go fly!” I said, my voice big again.

“You can’t really fly, silly,” she said, looking down at me.

“Yes I can! All because of those hot dogs!” I jumped up and stayed in the air for a long time. She looked at me funny before telling me to get back on the ground.

I didn’t listen. I wanted to fly outside, so I went through the open window in my room and I went around the entire neighborhood. It felt really cool.

Everyone on the ground was so little. They waved to me and I waved back. I saw a cat in a tree. I helped him down. I liked that cat. He let me pet him for a long time.

When I went home, I went through the window again and my sister was angry. She started to yell. I put my feet on the ground again. I wasn’t going to fly again when she was going to yell at me.

For dinner that night, we had sandwiches. Mine was peanut butter and some funny tasting jelly. I think it was strawberry, but I like the grape more.

When I went to fly after dinner, I couldn’t. I had lost all my powers. I was mad at my sister. She made it so I could never fly again.

Maybe one day I will fly again and go around the whole world in one night.

When I woke up, I remembered my whole dream. I really wanted to fly for real.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, man, this is awesome! Sounds exactly like my lil' bro, too. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think all young boys aspire to be superheros, and they all sound the same. Haha

      Delete
  2. Awwwww that was adorable. I loved it! I feel like you totally got the little kid POV down, too.

    ReplyDelete