Friday, January 20, 2012

Polaroid

So, I realized I did not post yesterday, and for that I am deeply sorry. I had written a story, I just forgot to post it! So, here's yesterday's story. Today's will be up later on, once I finish writing it.

(Photo submitted by Kaitlin)

I took the little black box from it’s hiding spot on the top shelf of my closet and took it outside, ready to throw the contents in the garbage bin once and for all. When I stepped outside, the bottom of the box collapsed, spilling photographs all over the yard.

This box was not the box of boyfriends past, like I had thought, it was the memories of my childhood. I remembered when my mother gave me my first Polaroid camera.

I would take pictures of the sky at different moments in the day. I would take pictures of the ground covered in fresh snow, light dew, or even the browning of the summer droughts.

The photographs told of my childhood obsessions, of nature, of colors, and of the fun shapes of the clouds.

Then there were the pictures of the world around me. I had never realized how many different places I had lived when I was younger, but each new house had a different set of pictures. It was almost surreal to me. I was glad to have kept the photos. I could look at them and remember what it was like when I was five, seven, and thirteen.

I could remember the day my mother walked out on my father and I. I took a picture of the house that day; her station wagon was not in the driveway. I remember the day my older sister went away to school. A picture of her standing in the yard, boxes surrounding her, was taken that day.
I look at the Polaroid’s and wish that I could go back to the days of innocence and childhood. My curiosity, of all things, was something that I was proud of. I had lost my sense of curiosity for some time, but now, it was only just reviving.

I searched the musky attic in search of a small box. In it, I found my old Polaroid camera. I snapped a picture of the collection that had fallen outside. I found a new box and put the photos inside.
A whole new chapter was beginning, and I wanted to capture it all.

1 comment: